Tuesday, January 5, 2010

College Affordability

“Thank you, have a nice evening,” I said with an automatic smile, clearing the dishes from the table and stuffing a few soggy bills in my pocket. And then it hit me: how many more times would I have to say those words? How many dirty dishes would I have to clear? Could I do this for the rest of my life?

Last year, while my peers came to school swathed in the colors of their university of choice and debated between Dartmouth and Cornell, I struggled to come to terms with the possibility that I might not be able to go to college at all. While my friends waited for acceptance letters, I waited tables and prayed that something, somehow, would come through.


I need more tips like this...


I am the oldest daughter of a single mother, and while we had been struggling to make ends meet for years, this was the first time that I felt money was a real and tangible obstacle to my happiness. Though I received the maximum amount of federal aid and a few scholarships from my school, it still wasn’t enough. I entered over fifty essay contests and thankfully, I won a scholarship that has allowed me to complete an amazing first semester at Loyola University in Chicago.

But most students aren’t so lucky. Many families in the 10th District also struggle to finance a college education, and some do not even have the money to struggle. There is nothing more painful than telling your child you cannot help them achieve their dreams.

I believe that education is everything, that it is the most powerful tool for social improvement in the human canon, and that any American who has the talent, drive and desire to go to college should be secure in the knowledge that their government will support them. One of the many reasons I support Dan Seals is because as a teacher, he understands firsthand the value of a college education and the enormous impact it has on the life of an individual. Education is one of his top priorities and I truly believe that he will fight for students and teachers when he is elected.

Furthermore, Dan is the only candidate in the race, Democratic or Republican, who has addressed the problem of student debt. By the time I graduate I will owe the government over $30,000, a debt that will take years to pay back and will be a major hurdle to jump when starting my career. Dan has a viable and effective plan to help ease student debt by transferring federal resources from loans to Pell Grants, which are government grants that don’t have to be repaid. Instead of overhauling or dramatically increasing federal student aid, this is a simple way to use an existing system to achieve the same end.

While I still waitress, I now do so knowing that it won’t be forever, and that every soggy dollar in my pocket is a step towards success. As a student, I support Dan because he shares my belief that education is the bridge between reality and ambition, and that a better future is always worth working for, worth sacrificing for, worth fighting for.

Liz Mannebach
Loyola University
Students for Seals Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment